TRCC vs. Waltham St. Lawrence 2

Like our esteemed sunday match reporter i am going to start with the weather!! After weeks of scorched-earth sunshine, forest fires and rapidly cracking cricket pitches, the first morning of the cricket season (proper cricket, as in league ;-) ) dawns with not so much the pitter patter of rain on the window, but the deafening sound of a torrential downpour hammering on the***cks...

Luckily though the grey clouds parted and dejection turned to optimism, just a chance it might be on so lets get the tea made...Fast Fwd to the match.

As was the want of his predecessor, our new captain, resplendent in grey suit and tie, promptly lost the toss and we were put in on a damp wicket. The new opening partnership of Roberts and Teal set about trying to building a defendable total, but after a few lusty blows the 2 Marks quickly became no-Marks as Nebbett and Andrews kept it tight and swung the ball all over the place. The new skipper took up the fight quickly getting into his stride and showing off the shots that had garnered over 100 runs in the pre-season but holed out to the WSL captain on 14, 3 down with the score on 38. Lunnon and Hogarth steadied the ship with some fine shots and a smidgeon of luck to take the score onto 99 before Lunnon hit one down the throat of long on. 99 for 3 turned into 119 for 7 as a steady stream of wickets all taken by the accurate Chris England who ended with figures of 10-6-11-4, and a pulled calf. Fine cameos by Walkland and beamish pushed the final score onto 148. respectable at least.

A really fine tea (ahem) was had by all and we set about WSL with the vigour of early season. Stalwart (and POTY) Beamish and the debutant Burgess were quickly into their stride pinning WSL down and making runs hard to score. The opener Badh went with the score on 3 to a long-deliberated, but plumb LBW and the first-teamer Connor was bowled behind his legs by the highly impressive Burgess. Nock quickly followed to leave WSL struggling on 13 for 3. England came out with a runner and along with Parker and Dan Owen pushed the score on to 58 before falling to a fine catch to Walkland again off the burgeoning Burgess. Clever rotation of the bowlers by Captain Barrable kept everyone fresh and the batsmen guessing with Walkland and Green keeping the pressure on. The new ball was taken and Burgess and Beamish returned to the attack and contuned where they left off cleaning up Owen, Nebbett and Norman to leave WSL teetering on 78 for 8. A rearguard action by the impressive Andrew Hartland gave everyone something to think about and he scored 20 with some of the shots of the day before Steve green put them out of their misery taking the last 2 wickets with WSL 40 runs short. A great team performance from TRCC, including some sharp fielding and a big shout to newcomer Burgess with excellent figures of 11-1-34-5 to follow his hatrick from a few weeks ago, ably supported by Beamish with a very economic 11-4-27-3. 

This could be the year....

The gadget spec URL could not be found